Top 25 most expensive public domain sales of all time
"We want ourbrand.com, but it is already registered by someone else… What do you think it will cost us to buy it?" This is a common question that our domain experts receive.
For various reasons many companies don’t own certain business-critical domain names but are very interested in acquiring them. An increased demand for good domain names has resulted in an evolving aftermarket, which has also made itself known for big domain sales, with price tags for millions of dollars.
In this blog post, we have listed the 25 highest (public) domain sales of all time.
* To note about domain sales, is that many of these deals are made with confidentiality agreements and are therefore not part of public figures. This means that there may have been sales with hidden price tags higher than those in the list below.
In first place we have carinsurance.com, which was sold for 49.7 million dollars in 2010. And in 25th place we have slots.com, which in 2010 was sold for 5.5 million dollars.
- CarInsurance.com – $ 49.7 million
- Insurance.com – $ 35.6 million
- VacationRentals.com – $ 35 million
- PrivateJet.com – $ 30.18 million
- Voice.com – $ 30 million
- Internet.com – $ 18 million
- 360.com – $ 17 million
- Insure.com – $ 16 million
- Fund.com – £ 9.99 million
- Sex.com – $ 14 million *
- Sex.com – $ 13 million
- Hotels.com – $ 11 million
- Porn.com – $ 9.5 million
- Shoes.com – $ 9 million
- Porno.com – $ 8.8 million
- Fb.com – $ 8.5 million
- We.com – $ 8 million
- Business.com – $ 7.5 million
- Diamond.com – $ 7.5 million
- Beer.com – $ 7 million
- Z.com – $ 6.8 million
- iCloud.com – $ 6 million
- Israel.com – $ 5.8 million
- Casino.com – $ 5.5 million
- Slots.com – $ 5.5 million
The prices in the list vary somewhat, what we can all agree on is that domain names have different value for different persons/companies. For someone the carinsurance.com domain has been worth $ 49.7 million, while for someone else it’s not worth much at all. So, to the question of what an already registered domain name will cost to buy “back”, there is really no correct answer – more than that it is worth what someone is willing to pay for the name.
Helpful advice is that you should always hire a “domain broker” when you are thinking about acquiring a domain name. You will have a much better negotiating position than if you choose to contact the seller yourself. And at the same time, you will get a secure transaction for the domain name and payment.
Do you want help buying an already registered domain name? Contact us and we will be happy to tell you more about how we can help you.